Saturday, September 4, 2010
Yes I can.
A week ago Friday morning I received payment for the script rights to my short story, Bloodsuckers. It has been adapted into a play along with three others from Necrotic Tissue magazine. Three Zombies and a Demon, by Roy C. Booth is now available from Stygian Publications. Of course, this is not my publication, it's Mr. Booth's, but nevertheless, I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s done with my quirky little story.
On September 1st, Aspen Mountain Press published Blob and the Sous-Chef and Other Stories, a collection of horror and dark humor short stories, written by yours truly. There are eleven stories in all, covering everything from zombies to ghosts to serial killers to monsters to vampires. For some reason, I forgot to include werewolves, so if hairy shapeshifters are your thing, you're out of luck with this book.
If you do happen to pick up a copy (and my creditors would love it if you do), I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say. For positive, complementary comments, feel free to append them to the comment section of this post. For negative slams, harping at me because I happened to have a character hiss a complete sentence one lousy time, send your comments here, where they will be given full attention.
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Effie Collins thinks I'm strange. Strange enough to be worthy of the strange award which is the picture heading up this post. Not too strangely, I'm grateful for her confidence in my strangeness. What I didn't know was that strangeness came with certain responsibilities. I present those to you below:
The 'Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits' award is given to only the strangest of folk, and as the recipient of such you are deemed very strange indeed. Congratulations.
Now you must go forth and celebrate the strangeness of friends (and strangers - strangers are always allowed) by nominating blogs run by strange folk. *Beware, some people don't like you to refer to them as strange…Try to avoid them if possible.
1. Add the logo of the award to your blog post.
2. Add a link to the person who awarded it to you (don't mess with strange people).
3. Nominate seven other blogs telling us why you think the recipient is strange enough to deserve the award.
4. Leave a message for those nominated on their blogs.
5. And, if you email catephoenix(at)gmail(dot)com and tell her you've received the award for your strangeness, she'll enter you in the biggest kick-ass Strange Men competition ever. Details over at strangemeninpinstripesuits.com (click on the award link on the home page)
So, as you can see, this is a highly coveted award. I know I've coveted it since I first found out about it five or ten minutes ago. Let's see if I can nominate seven more covetous people:
1. Stacey Graham has a blog called Betwixt & Between that I've only recently begun to follow. I asked Stacey if she would like one of the awards, and she replied, "Brains."
I'm taking that as a "yes." A strange "yes," but a "yes" nevertheless.
2. Angie Mansfield is one of those zebras that starts and stops blogs at random, confusing the poor old people like me that try to keep up. I've just found her new blog, The Wandering Zebra, and I'm going to nail it down with an award before I lose it again.
3. MisterBastard is.
4. June "Rusty" Kramin, she of the famous For the Love of Bug blog radiates strangeness wherever she goes. She also wears little boy's boxers, though I'm not sure which little boy had them first.
5. Bea Sempere who writes "Skipping Stone" Memories is really not all that strange, except her name is unpronounceable and she hangs out with that reprobate, Bug. She doesn't believe in fairy doors either. Come to think of it, that is strange.
6. Owen The Dog of Super Owen fame isn't really that strange either, but he barks with a Mexican accent and that is strange.
7. Ed "Shadow_Ferret" Pahule has gone from hero worship to hating Brett Favre. That's pretty strange, isn't it? You can read all about it in his blog, Upon Reflection.
Well, that's it. That's my seven strange people.
And now I'm off to give them seven strange awards.